The year 2020 has brought about some big and very unexpected changes in the world. A virus has gripped our planet and made lives miserable, isolated and above all created a sense of panic when it comes to cleanliness and hygiene. While cleanliness and hygiene is extremely important anyway, due to Covid-19 sanitizing and washing have taken on a whole new meaning. From cooking meals to doing our laundry and cleaning our houses we are more careful to make sure we do a thorough job and use anti bacterial and anti viral products.
We are grappling with mundane household tasks and want to get them done in a way which keeps our loved ones safe and healthy. This is a cause of stress and anxiety for many as there is information overload on how the virus spreads as well as how you can keep it at bay. There is a lot of misinformation as well which contributes to the rising stress levels. Can Covid-19 spread through food? How should I do laundry now? Should I clean my outerwear separately? This blog post aims to shed some light on the latter to help you separate fact from fiction and assist you in making informed choices while keeping the virus out of your home.
The most basic things to do are the following:
- Do not leave home without a mask especially if you are taking public transport or going to a crowded place.
- Maintain distance from people not in your bubble. The UK Government guidelines suggest a 2m distance.
- Avoid sneezing and coughing in your hands. Cover your mouth and sneeze in your elbow to prevent droplets form spreading.
- Always wash and sanitize your hands. Wash hands before eating or preparing food, handling contact lenses, touching babies or young children and touching your own face as well. Keep a hand sanitizer in your purse or pocket and use it regularly.
- If you feel unwell, do a PCR test at home and if positive isolate immediately. Send off your results on the government website so anyone who was in contact with you can be notified. Avoid contact with anyone until it comes out negative.
- Clean and disinfect high touch surfaces in your home regularly. These include counters, door knobs, light switches as well as mobile phones and chargers/plugs.
The next section of this post will shed some light on how to do laundry in Covid-19 times as well as how Gold Dry Cleaners have changed our practices to keep you safe.
Laundry in Covid-19
There is a lot of information out there on how long the virus can survive on different fabric as well as metal and plastic. While the accuracy is questionable, the most straightforward thing to do in terms of laundry and handling clothes is to exercise caution. Always remove your outerwear (jacket/coat) and shoes before entering in the house. Try to change into clean clothes immediately upon coming home and washing your hands afterwards.
When you are in the process of folding or cleaning laundry keep in mind the following:
- Use gloves while handling laundry if you can and dispose them off afterwards. Wash your hands after.
- Use the warmest water setting that your clothes permit. Always look at the care label instructions first to avoid ruining clothes.
- Keep separate laundry bags or baskets for clean and used clothes to avoid the risk of cross contamination.
- Don’t shake out your laundry ever because the virus can spread into the air.
The tips above apply to you if you have a washing machine and tumble dryer at home. If you use a Laundromat instead, bear in mind the following:
- Go when it is less busy to avoid crowds. The virus spreads quickly in crowded areas.
- Maintain a physical distance from people whilst at the facility.
- Wear disposable gloves and disinfect the surface of the machines that you use. Carry a hand sanitizer and clean your hands. Avoid touching your face or nose.
- Disinfect your laundry baskets and hampers or line them with disposable bags.
- Try to minimize the number of tasks you do at the facility by preparing your clothes before you leave the house and folding them when you get home.
Laundry Service London
If you are still concerned about Covid-19 and the health impact it poses as well by spreading through clothes use Gold Dry Cleaners laundry service. We have a number of procedures in place to safeguard against the virus.
- All our staff wear masks and sanitize their hands regularly.
- All the machines are disinfected and cleaned after every load.
- We use high quality British standard detergents and solvents in our cleaning to get rid of all the muck and grime as well as bacteria and germs.
- High touch surfaces such as door knobs and counters as well as machine surfaces are cleaned and disinfected regularly.
- Staff do a Covid-19 test twice a week and send in images of their negative result to the management to ensure they are not carriers.
Do not panic as these basic guidelines to fold and clean your laundry as well as outsource to our laundry service can help you stay safe. Gold Dry Cleaners dedicated laundry service in London can help you get clean and immaculate clothes to your doorstep within 24 hours. Avoid the hassle and stress of cleaning laundry especially in such unprecedented times and use our free collection and delivery service instead. Keeping up with the current times, we offer contactless deliveries as well. Simply specify in the order notes where you would like us to leave your clean clothes and we will do the needful. Use our website www.golddrycleaners.com to place an order with us today! You can also email us anytime or to place an order with us. Payment can be made through card or cash upon delivery depending on what suits you best.