Clothing Alterations: How to choose the best tailoring service provider in London?
Tailoring vs Alterations
Many clothing stores as well as dry cleaners offer tailoring and alteration services. Because both words are used in conjunction with each other so frequently, most people do not understand the difference between them. As a customer, it is important for you to grasp the underlying difference between both services to deem which one your need falls into. The primary difference is that a tailor can do alterations but an alteration expert cannot tailor garments. Therefore, for simplicity’s sake we can put alterations as a sub category of tailoring.
- If you are looking for a complete custom fit and want to have add ons such as pockets, cuffs or collars added to your garment, a tailoring service is the way to go. Tailors can fit your garment to your specific requirements.
- If you just want some simple amendments like shortening a pair of trousers, adjusting a waistline or sewing on buttons, you need an alteration service.
- As a rule of thumb, always try to make sure the garment you buy fits you reasonably well because there is a limit to the modifications a tailor or alterations expert can make. Most clothing manufacturers these days do not leave enough extra fabric at the seams so “letting out” becomes harder.
How to choose the best tailoring service provider in London?
Follow some of our pointers below to find a tailoring service that works for you:
- As with any service, positive experiences and word of mouth from friends and family goes a long way in helping the choice easier for you. Therefore, ask friends and work colleagues for recommendations and their experiences with local tailors and/or alteration experts.
- Some of the criteria you should have to choose a tailoring service should be the neatness in the changes e.g. no sloppy stitches or visible amendments as well as the speed, efficiency and overall customer service quality which the shop provides customers.
- It is very important to choose a tailor who understands your needs and addresses them. Communication is essential and the tailor should be able to understand the customer and explain their activities to the customer eloquently.
- If you are someone who gets their clothes altered frequently, it is a good idea to check out the convenience factor of your chosen tailoring service. Do they offer pick ups and delivery? What are their turnaround times? Last thing you want is waiting endlessly for your clothes to arrive back.
- When you visit a tailoring service, always enquire about the terms and conditions of damage. Although rare, misplacements can also happen. It is good to be aware of whether the company will offer you monetary compensation or what exactly they would be willing to do in case damages are incurred on the garment or it gets lost.
- Is there a guarantee or a cushion period offered by the tailoring company as to when you can come back for a refitting in case you are not completely satisfied? This is a pretty handy thing to have! Another handy thing when it comes to alterations/tailoring services is a fitting room on the premises which allows you to try on clothes at the shop and see if you are happy with the results. This saves you the hassle of having to bring back the garment again or awaiting its collection once you have taken it away.
Gold Dry Cleaners tailoring service
Gold Dry Cleaners offer tailoring and alteration services as well in addition to laundry and dry cleaning. Although the turnaround times are longer than our standard delivery within 24 hours, our tailoring service is very popular in Kensington and Chelsea. Our tailor Master Rajab has been with us since 15 years and is an expert in his craft. The complete list of services we offer under the category of Repairs/Alterations are as follows:
- Fixing dress length
- Invisible zips and jacket zips
- Repairing pockets
- Sewing on buttons
- Altering trouser and skirt lengths
- Altering trouser waists and zips
If any custom fitting is required especially for couture or bespoke dresses and gowns, we encourage customers to drop in and have a word with our tailoring specialist so they can gain a complete understanding of what is possible as well as any needs the customer may have. We also have a fitting room in our 162 Old Brompton Road premises so you can try on your garments before leaving. This helps ensure complete customer satisfaction.
So next time you find yourself despairing over an ill fitting pair of trousers or that skirt which just does not sit right, bring it to us! With our mantra of “Value you can trust”, we will leave no stone unturned in offering you top notch customer service and high quality alterations. More than just a dry cleaning company, Gold Dry Cleaners can take the hassle of dressing well away.
Just use our website www.golddrycleaners.com and navigate to Pricing and then select Alterations to view the services offered. If something you require is not there, do not hesitate to contact us on 07908154397. Well fitted garments are made hassle free to achieve thanks to Gold Dry Cleaners!